China Catalyst Programme – Market visit to Guangzhou – Expressions of Interest
As part of the Lancaster China Catalyst Programme (www.lancaster.ac.uk/china-catalyst) Lancaster Univeristy are looking for expressions of interest to participate in a Market Visit to Guangzhou, China in December this year. This will provide you with an opportunity to gain an understanding of doing business in China, the market environment, and to meet with support organisations and companies in areas that you are interested.
The trip will consist of the following activities:
• A pre-trip briefing at Lancaster University two weeks before departure to provide details of the itinerary, some logistics and general information about Guangzhou, a cultural briefing to prepare for meetings, and details of the companies you will meet.
• Meetings with key business support organisations in Guangzhou, including the British Chamber of Commerce in Guangzhou, the China Britain Business Council, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the Department for International Trade.
• Two half-day B2B meetings with Chinese companies that meet the area of interest specified by you. Where possible, details of the companies will be shared with the you prior to departure (ideally at the pre-trip briefing, but it may be later than this). The aim is to arrange around 5 meetings for each company participating in the trip, although there may be fewer or more than this depending on the specific interests of the company.
• A day will left free in the schedule to allow ad-hoc meetings to be arranged. It has been the experience that the B2B meetings will often result in follow-up meetings and invitations for visits. These can be very beneficial in starting to build a relationship with a Chinese company.
• Interpreters will be provided during the B2B meetings and for any follow-up meetings/visits.
• An evening trip on the Pearl River will be arranged that will take in some of the key landmarks in Guangzhou (including the Canton Tower) and their illuminations.
• Group transport will be provided, including airport transfers, and group meals. There will be occasions when you will be left to make your own arrangements for lunch or dinner and these will be clearly identified in the itinerary.
You will be asked to book and pay for your own flight (flights that arrive in Guangzhou to make use of the airport connection to the hotel will be identified) and to pay for hotel accommodation (around £65/night including breakfast) although reservations will be made on your behalf by us. The university will charge a fee of £500/participant to cover costs (such as transport, translators and group meals). You will also be required to apply for your visa to visit China for which the university can provide guidance and the appropriate invitation letter to support your visa application.
The number of places on the trip will be limited, so if you are interested, please can you complete the Expression of Interest form attached and return it to Jayjay Sanson at email@example.com. If you would like more information or to discuss the trip in more detail, please don’t hesitate to get in touch on 01524 510838.
Dr. Nick Burd
Programme Director, Lancaster China Catalyst Programme
Phone: 01524 510838