Armed Forces Day - What can you do?
In the Lancaster District, Armed Forces Day, a national event, has been slow to take hold in the annual calendar of events. Thanks to the support of Cllr Liz Scott, Armed Forces Champion for Lancaster District Council and the work of Lancaster Military Heritage Group, this is now changing. Building on the success of the previous two years where the Duchy of Lancaster has granted access to the Castle, we are repeating this event on Saturday 25th June, but with a larger and more ambitious event on Morecambe seafront on Sunday 26th June.
The role of business in supporting the recognition of our Armed Forces, and the benefits from doing so, are multi-faceted, and through Lancaster & District Chamber of Commerce of Commerce we hope to involve more of you in our planning and execution of the task. You may be able to offer support in many different ways that have previously not been considered:
- We would really like you to put a message of support in any newspaper, magazine, radio or online advertising for the week ie company XX is proud to support our Servicemen and Women during Armed Forces Week or Celebrate our local Servicemen and Women at this weekend's AFD event and of course use the logo.
- Offer a discount (of perhaps 10%) to customers wearing a uniform or carrying a veterans badge and or medals during the week of 20th-26th June.
- Have a company representative attend the flag raising ceremony at either Lancaster or Morecambe Town Hall on Monday 20th June at 11am
- Provide financial support to the organising body- clearly this costs but as a charitable contribution is tax deductible
- Sell Heroes Draw Raffle tickets on behalf of the organising committee raising funds for Combat Stress and SSAFA, two respected and essential veterans, charities, or run your own staff raffle for a veterans, charity of your choice.
- You can join in and fly your own Armed Forces Day flag, which can be ordered from Zephyr Flags. Zephyr also stock bunting, hand-wavers, and banners. Information on how to order all these items can be found on the Zephyr Flags website.
- Armed Forces Day mementoes. You can show your support for Armed Forces Day with a variety of fun branded clothing and other materials, such as caps, gym bags, aprons and mugs. These can be found on the Armed Forces merchandise page.
- Tweet @ArmedForcesDay using #SaluteOurForces
- Join in on Facebook at Lancaster and Morecambe Armed Forces Day
You may have your own ideas about how to celebrate Armed Forces Day and to support the Armed Forces Covenant and if you have please share them with us. This is a once a year opportunity to say thank you to those in uniform who not only provide our Defence, but support in times of flood and fire, against international and home grown terrorism and the international drug smugglers. These men and women are on 24/7 contracts and deserve our recognition at this event. Please consider how your organisation can demonstrate your support. For further information please look at the website www.armedforcesday.org.uk, find us on facebook at Lancaster and Morecambe Armed Forces Day Or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a local offer of support or an enquiry
Cleethorpes will this year hold the National Event, read below the effect of responding to the challenge!
Councillor Ray Oxby, Leader of North East Lincolnshire Council said:
''Our local Armed Forces Day has previously attracted more than 60,000 people into the area for the weekend to recognise our past and serving military personnel and I've no doubt that figure will be dwarfed by hosting the national day .
''The fact that we've been chosen to host the National event is a huge feather in our cap and the council will be fully supporting the Day, and will offer whatever assistance we can make available to make sure Armed Forces Day 2016 not only celebrates the work of the military in our area, but also everything North East Lincolnshire has to offer.''